Aburi Botanical Gardens is located in the Eastern region of Ghana. The garden which occupies an area of 64.8 hectares was opened in March 1890 and was founded by Governor William Brandford-Griffith and Dr. John Farrell Easmon, a Sierra Leonean medical doctor. Before the garden was established, it was the site of a sanatorium built-in 1875 for Gold Coast government officials.
During the governorship of William Brandford-Griffith, a Basel missionary and Jamaican Moravian, Alexander Worthy Clerk supervised the clearing of land around the sanatorium to start the Botanic Department. The garden played an important role in encouraging cocoa production in South Ghana, by supplying cheap cocoa seedlings and information about scientific farming methods.
Nature’s beauty at the Aburi Botanical Garden
Serene environment of the Garden
One of the numerous plants in the Garden